Australias only full service crystallisation centre
Post author: Shane Seabrook. Last update: 24/07/2015 at 4:42 pm by Gerard Gibbs.
The CSIRO Collaborative Crystallisation Centre (C3) is a full service protein crystallisation centre specialising in both screening and optimisation. Our mission is to provide both expert and novice users access to technologies which will enable the rapid and efficient sampling of crystallisation space, in order to streamline the process of obtaining biological insights from structural studies. Our core competency is high-throughput small volume (sub-microlitre) dispensing coupled with automatic imaging, but our strength lies in our ease of use, range of services and expert advice.
All sample booking and all images are available via secure web applications. We carry a large range (over 50) of commercial initial screens, as well as offering custom screen design and manufacture. We can provide high-throughput microseeding, along with additive screening or a combination of the two for optimisation of initial crystal hits. We provide novel tools for screen selection, sample volume calculators and batchload wizards to demystify the process of protein crystallogenesis. We run quality checks on all samples run through the CSIRO C3 and these are available through the C3 booking software. The experiments that are set up in the CSIRO C3 are available for downstream work – many crystals grown in C3 are suitable for analysis at the Australian Synchrotron without having to re-optimise in a larger format.
We hold regular user meetings where users are invited to give feedback about C3 and we use these to ensure that we are fulfilling the needs of the research community. We also organise regular courses in crystallisation of macromolecules.
- C3 booking software.
- C6 screen selection tool.
- See3 data management tool.
- Rigaku Crystaltrak database /CTweb tool with custom improvements.
- Research collaboration.
- Fee for service.
The Collaborative Crystallisation Centre (C3) provides infrastructure to enable growth of the crystals which are required to obtain atomic-level protein structures via X-ray diffraction techniques.
- The C3 is a state of the art technology platform with the primary goal of providing expertise and technology to the Australian structural biology research community
- The centre is supported by the Materials Science and Engineering division of CSIRO
- We are a ‘full service’ facility, and perform the characterisation, setting up of screens and the automated imaging process for our users
- We have completed more than 2 million unique crystallisation experiment
- We are founding members of the XDX Ontology Consortium
- The C3 is part of the Australian Membrane Protein Structure Initiative (AMPSI)
Contact the facility manager or view our website for more information. We have web-based tools to allow our clients to book, view and optimise their experiments. This makes C3 accessible to local, national and international research groups.
Type: Core facility in a research organisation
Discipline areas: Biological Science
Accreditation: ISO 17025
Biological Science categories: Computational, Crystallisation, Data storage, Properties and interactions, Proteins and peptides, Structural biology, X-ray crystallography and SAXS