Robotic materials synthesis unit used for synthesis of libraries of chemicals, materials or formulations. Kinetic studies involving timepoint analysis.
Post author: Ben Muir. Last update: 12/03/2014 at 4:04 pm by Karen Clarke.
Manufacturer: Chemspeed, Swing. Installed 2014.
Kinetic studies involving timepoint analysis. Applicable to various materials including but not limited to polymers, nanoparticles, catalysts, ionic liquids, small molecules, sol-gel reactions. Similar to the SLT with the addition of repetitive weighing applications, handling of viscous materials and centrifugation and drying of samples.
Benefits of the Chemspeed Swing
The Chemspeed robotic synthesis platforms are transforming the way that scientists are undertaking their materials development. The robotic platforms can undertake most chemical manipulations that a chemist could undertake but it can make hundreds of extra materials in the same time frame that a scientist could make only a few with increased reproducibility and consistency. This is extremely important when undertaking systematic studies and optimising materials and formulations. Automated steps include the dispensing of solids and liquids, refluxing and vortexing, shear mixing and sonication all under an inert atmosphere.
Example workflows that have been developed to date include:
• RAFT and other polymer synthesis techniques
• anionic polymerisation
• kinetic polymerisation studies
• polymer nanoparticle formulation
• metal nanoparticle formulation
• amphiphile nanoparticle self-assembly
• mesoporous silica nanoparticles
• metal organic framework synthesis
• ionic liquid synthesis
• catalyst impregnation
We are interested in working with our clients and partners on developing further workflows and capabilities.
Technical features and specifications
1. Heating/cooling, inertisation, refluxing, filtration, -20 to +150 °C in isynth reactors and in double jacketed schlenk reactors, with filtration capability
2. Shaking/magnetic stirring, MTP heating
3. Sampling (e.g into NMR tubes/GC vials)
4. solid, liquid, viscous dispensing (organic solvents and aqueous/acidic/basic and viscous liquids)
5. Screw capping (eg Falcon tubes 50 mL and 8 mL vials)
6. Parallel synthesis and catalyst impregnation tools including 48 by 8mL, 24 by 20 mL & 12 by 100 mL reactor block for disposable reactors (iSynth in Chemspeed)
8. Robotic transfer station denso arm (transfer MTPs, vials)
9. Combidancer Infrared vortex/shaker evaporator for solvent/water removal
10. Gloves for hood (inert/”dry atmosphere”)
12. High shear homogenisation
13. Gripper arm that can be ‘trained’
14. ‘Plating up’ of materials into custom plates.
15. HPLC ready
We encourage greater utilisation
Operation: Facility staff operate this instrument, User operated training provided, User or facility staff operate pricing may vary
Access: Access pricing may vary, External researcher use availableCapacity: