Robotic materials synthesis unit used for synthesis of libraries of chemicals, materials or formulations
Post author: Ben Muir. Last update: 18/03/2014 at 4:26 pm by Ben Muir.
Manufacturer: Chemspeed, SLT. Installed 2009.
Kinetic studies involving timepoint analysis. Applicable to various materials including but not limited to polymers, nanoparticles, catalyst preparation and evaluation, ionic liquids, small molecules and the formulation of pharmaceuticals. Automated pH measurements, probe sonication, shear mixing, temperature control -70C to 150C, atmospheric control (N2), pressurised reactions under inert or reactive gas.
Benefits of the Chemspeed SLT
The Chemspeed robotic synthesis platforms are transforming the way that scientists are undertaking their materials development. The robotic platforms can undertake most chemical manipulations that a chemist could undertake but it can make hundreds of extra materials in the same time frame that a scientist could make only a few with increased reproducibility and consistency. This is extremely important when undertaking systematic studies and optimising materials and formulations. Automated steps include the dispensing of solids and liquids, refluxing and vortexing, shear mixing and sonication all under an inert atmosphere.
Example workflows that have been developed to date include:
• RAFT and other polymer synthesis techniques
• anionic polymerisation
• kinetic polymerisation studies
• polymer nanoparticle formulation
• metal nanoparticle formulation
• amphiphile nanoparticle self-assembly
• mesoporous silica nanoparticles
• metal organic framework synthesis
• ionic liquid synthesis
Technical features and specifications
1. Heating/cooling, inertisation, refluxing, filtration, -70 to +250 °C in double jacketed schlenk reactors, and filtration capability
3. Sampling (e.g into NMR tubes/GC vials)
4. solid, liquid dispensing (organic solvents and aqueous/acidic/basic)
5. Vial crimping of purge septa
6. Various reactors including parallel synthesis and catalyst impregnation tools including 48 by 8mL reactor block for disposable reactors (iSynth in Chemspeed)
7. multiwell plate (MTP) disposable format pressure reactor block and 16 mL reactors @ (90 bar) with gaseous N2, H2, H2/CO and H2/C2H4/CO.
9. High shear homogenisation
10. Gripper arm that can be ‘trained’
11. ‘Plating up’ of materials into custom plates.
12. pH readings
13. HPLC ready
This instrument is heavily booked, We encourage greater utilisation
Operation: User operated training not required, User operated training provided, User or facility staff operate pricing may vary
Access: Access pricing may vary, External researcher use availableCapacity: